We are continuing to engage throughout this process.
For anyone interested in making a submission or having a further discussion, please contact us at AboriginalHeritageAct@nre.tas.gov.au
Although formal submissions have closed, we want your feedback on a Consultation Paper which outlines the Government’s proposed approach to new Aboriginal cultural heritage legislation that will better respect and protect our irreplaceable Aboriginal cultural heritage.
Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Protection Act - Consultation Paper (PDF 2Mb)
The Consultation Paper sets out how the Government proposes new legislation will address key areas of concern that were identified through the recent statutory review of the current Act.
Your feedback will inform the drafting of new legislation and we encourage submissions from all interested parties.
The details of the new legislation are intended to be released for further consultation later in 2022. This will be in the form of a draft Exposure Bill.
Please Note: With the exceptions listed below, and consistent with Tasmanian Government policy, it is intended that all submissions will be treated as public information and published on the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania website.
- In the absence of a clear indication that a submission (or parts of the submission) is intended to be treated as confidential, the Department will treat the submission as public
- No personal information other than an individual’s or organisational name will be published. Further information on confidentiality is available in the Personal Information Protection Act 2004 and Right to Information Act 2009
- If you would like your submission treated as confidential, whether in whole or in part, please indicate this in writing at the time of making your submission, clearly identifying the parts of your submission you want to remain confidential and the reasons why. In this case, your submission will not be published to the extent of that request
- Copyright in submissions remains with the author(s), not with the Tasmanian Government
- Defamatory or offensive material will not be published
We are committed to working closely with you to ensure we get the new Aboriginal cultural heritage legislation right.
Following analysis of the feedback we will develop a draft Exposure Bill. We will share the draft Bill toward the end of 2022 prior to finalising the Bill, with a view to its introduction in Parliament in mid-2023.