Flood Information

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The following flood information is available fr​om the Department of Natural Resources & Environment.  Additional information on personal and financial support available can be found on the TasAlert Recovery​ page.

​​For emergency information including flood warnings, road closures, and public health warnings, see the TasAlert website.

It is important to be aware of any flood risk that might exist where you live, where you have property, and where you work. The State Emergency Service (SES) website provides important information on: 

  • current flood risks

  • how to prepare for a flood

  • what to do in a flood emergency


Floods and Farming Properties

Here are resources and links from Tasmania and other states use​ful for farmers managing flood on their properties.

Animal Welfare During Floods

People should not enter flood flows to attempt to rescue livestock. If animals are apparently stranded on virtual islands they will be OK for the time being. Do not risk human life attempting to get fodder to them.

Note that stock immersed in water for a significant period will need to be monitored for 10 days afterwards. Seek veterinary advice early if there are signs of illness or deterioration in condition.  

NRE Tas can provide advice on flood-affected animals. Another source of advice is your normal vet.

For assistance with injured wildlife contact NRE Tas on 6165 4305 for advice.

NRE Tas manages a network of wildlife carers and works with other volunteer groups and wildlife parks to provide care for injured animals.

If members of the public wish to offer assistance caring for injured wildlife, please contact:

  • Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary on 6268 1184 or

  • NRE Tas on 6165 4305

For information on the care of livestock affected by the current flood event, contact your regular vet or call NRE Tas on 6777 2115.

Animal Carcasses

There will be a lot of various debris needing to be cleaned up when the waters recede.  One of the aspects of this will be the disposal of carcasses of animals caught in ​the floods.

​If landholders are able to manage the disposal on their own then there are several options available which include:

  • Where carcasses are on-farm they can be deep buried on that farm when conditions allow.  It may be necessary to collect carcasses and stockpile them on dry ground while waiting for conditions to allow the construction of a burial pit.

  • Smaller amounts of carcasses can be disposed of at some municipal refuse sites as putrescible waste. Not all municipal refuse sites carry the necessary permits to accept this type of waste so contact the relevant local council and check this before transporting the carcasses.

Identifying dead and displaced stock in flood areas

If you come across displaced stock, scan (using a microchip scanner) or note the tag numbers and call NRE Tas 1300 368 550 so the animals can be traced.

If you come across dead stock you can identify these by scanning or visually reading the tag, and noting the colour of the tag and the location found. 

Please email the information through to nlis.tas@nre.tas.gov.au.


It is important before burial or disposal of the carcasses to record all tag numbers or scan the tag and also note the colour of the tag (often a clear photo of the tag can help) for tracking and notification of loss. This information is very important for insurance purposes.

Flood Situation in National Parks

The Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) posts information about track and park closures on Facebook.

Dam Emergencies

To report a dam safety incident that threatens life or property call 000 and ask for the Police. The Tasmania Police coordinate Dam Emergency responses.

Pollution Incidents

Flooding events can lead to pollution incidents. To lodge a pollution complaint or notify of a pollution incident contact​ the EPA.

Salvaging After Floods

Large amounts of debris can be left behind once flood water has receded. If you are considering salvaging anything from either Crown Land or Private Property there are a number of regulations you must adhere to:

  1. Before removing any material from the beach, approval from the land manager and a licence from PWS' Property Services are required [i].
    • If the land is a public reserve, then public access for salvaging will be available. Permission will be required from the managing authority for that reserve.
    • Specific licence requirements exist for natural materials and stormcast botanicals. Removal of cast seaweed or seagrass is sometimes undertaken to make use of the resource. Non-commercial users may remove up to 100kg per person per day with approval from the relevant managing authority. However, if the material is to be sold directly or manufactured into a commercial product, then a harvesting license is required from Wild Fisheries in NRE Tas [ii].
  2. You need to be aware of the interpretation of stealing [iii] before removing things from private land or claiming your property back.
    • If something has washed up on your property you cannot automatically claim it (including animals), you MUST show reasonable effort in to locate owner [iv]. 
    • At the minimum, this would mean reporting to the local police or to an organisation that is co-ordinating a response.  Local Councils often setup "lost and found" through responses.
  3. The movement of controlled waste, such as asbestos building materials and tyres needs specific approval [v]
    • For information on how to identify a material as controlled waste go ​the EPA Con​trolled Waste page.
  4. All the rules surrounding firewood collections are those that currently stand. However, safety must be considered due to the mixing up of other debris with the wood along with the quality or contamination of wood sources.
    • You can collect firewood from your own property without a permit as long as it does not contravene any of the conditions for taking a native plants [vi].
    • You cannot enter public or private land for private collections without permission from land owners. 
    • Licences are required when sourcing wood from Sustainable Timber ​​Tasmania [vii]. 
    • Any gathering of firewood from Public Lands would need permission from the Land Manager and a special licences from PWS and to be in accordance with Management Plans for those areas.

[i] Under the Crown Lands Act 1976

[ii] Under the Living Marine Resources Act 1995

[iii] Under the of the Criminal Code Act 1924 (No. 69 of 1924

[iv] Section 226 2(a) (iv) of the Criminal Code Act 1924

[v] Controlled waste is defined in the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 and the Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Waste Management) Regulations 2010

[vi] Under the Nature Conservation Act 2002 or the Forest Practices Act 1985.

[vii] ​ www.sttas.com.au/access-permits/firewood-collection

Frequently Asked Questions

  • ​​​​I am a private landowner. Who is responsible for debris (including livestock carcasses) clean-up on my land? 

See Animal Carcasses section above

Managing Your Pr​operty 

Riverbank protection after a flood

Dealing with logjams or debris after a flood​

  •  Are there any restrictions on what I can do to clean up?
  • Can I get any financial help to clean up? 
​TAS ALERT Recovery ​
  • ​​​​​Who is responsible for repairing damage to private and public infrastructure?  
  • Who is responsible for riparian management before and after a flood event?
  • Is the Crown responsible for cleaning up debris and managing banks on their reserve?  
  • What are the restrictions of a Council cleaning up flood debris on a foreshore?

See above Tasmanian Coastal Works Manual  


Further general information: 

location matters | Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania

Floodplain Mapping in Tasmania | Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania 

Flood Data Books | Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania 

LIST Properties & Titles​ | Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania​

Contact FarmPoint on 1300 292 292 or farmpoint.tas.gov.au