Chemical Registration and Permits

The registration of agricultural and veterinary chemicals is a national matter that is undertaken by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) located in Canberra.

The APVMA is also responsible for issuing off-label permits to allow the use of chemical products in a manner different from the registered use that is shown on the label, where this is considered necessary and appropriate.

In Tasmania, an Agricultural Spray Permit is required before you are allowed to spray certain products.

  Application for an Agricultural Spraying Permit   (54Kb)

Methyl bromide permits​​

A permit is now required for all large scale fumigations using methyl bromide. A large scale fumigation is defined as any single or multiple (undertaken at the same time) fumigation event involving more than 50 kg of methyl bromide in total.

A Fact Sheet explaining the requirements is available as well as the Application Form which must be completed if you want to apply for a permit:

  AgVet Chemicals Information Sheet - Permit for use of Methyl bromide > 50kg   (110Kb)

  Application Form for Methyl Bromide Permit   (77Kb)

Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA)

See the APVMA website for information on product labels, registering products, permits and application forms.