Buying and Selling Cattle

​​​​​​​​Buying and Selling Cattle Button

The following outlines what you must do if you wish to buy or sell cattle.


1. NLIS Tags

All cattle must be correctly identified with a NLIS tag before leaving a property.

If you have a PIC number (e.g. MABC1234) and are already registered for NLIS tags please order  tags from your local rural agent store or any online company.

There is an exemption in place for bobby calves identified with a Bobby Calf Tag being sold for immediate slaughter.

WH&S Issues
Where it is an Work Health & Safety issue to safely NLIS identify cattle before leaving a property there are two alternatives:

1. Apply to the Registrar of Brands (see contact details below) to move the cattle to a site where there are facilities to safely identify the cattle using your NLIS devices.

2. Apply for a permit to move unidentified cattle. The approved permit must accompany the cattle and the NVD in transit from the property to the destination. Please ensure that the abattoir will accept the stock for slaughter under the permit before applying for the permit. Application forms are available on line.

2. Transaction Tags (Tail Tags)

(Only applies in certain circumstances.)

Only NLIS-identified HGP-free cattle are exempt from Transaction Tags (Tail Tags) in Tasmania. This means that Transaction Tags will still be required in the following circumstances:
  • Cattle from interstate that have been treated with HGPs or those with unknown status must be identified with a yellow​ Tail Tag.
  • Bobby calves consigned for immediate slaughter must be identified with a Bobby Calf Tag.
  • The EU Cattle Accreditation Scheme (EUCAS).  As of the 1st of September 2014 lime green tail tags are no longer required. Contact the EUCAS Helpline 1800 305 544 if you have any questions regarding this requirement.

Other Requirements

3. Vendor Declaration

Whenever cattle are sold or moved to another property with a different PIC a Vendor Declaration must be provided to the person in charge of the stock at the destination property. This applies for any change of ownership.

Both parties are to keep a copy for a minimum of 2 years.

4. Recording the Movement on the NLIS Database

Movements between properties must be recorded on the NLIS database by the person responsible for the cattle on the new property (usually the purchaser). See Transferring Cattle for more information.

If the cattle have been purchased through a saleyard then the saleyard is responsible for recording the transfer. In this instance the purchaser must provide the saleyard with the Property Identification Code (PIC) of the property the cattle are being moved to.

5. Purchasers to Provide PIC

If you are buying cattle make sure you provide the saleyard or vendor with the Property Identification Code (PIC) of the property the cattle are to be moved to.

6. How do I obtain cattle tags?

Accredited NLIS tags for cattle can be purchased through a local rural merchandising store.

For more details see NLIS for Cattle.​


Registrar of Animal Brands

Biosecurity Tasmania,
Product Integrity and Food Safety,
New Town Research Laboratories,
13 St Johns Avenue - New Town - Tasmania 7008,
GPO Box 44,
New Town, TAS, 7008.

NLIS Forms and Requests

GPO Box 44,
Hobart, TAS, 7001.