Import conditions by species
Animal Health Act 1995 does not replace import controls enacted under other Tasmanian legislation, for example:
Important additional information
Where there is no authority published on this website, prior to importation you may apply for a Special Authority from the Chief Veterinary Officer by emailing a completed Application for Special Authority to
Application for special authority to import animals, animal material, or restricted animal material (PDF 211Kb)The application will be considered and an Authority to Import may be granted if considered safe to do so. You may be charged an application fee for this service.
Animals and necessary paperwork must be presented for inspection upon arrival in Tasmania. A fee will be charged for this inspection.
conditions apply to any non-forage or cereal crop / general paddock straw, hay, silage and chaff which will not be accepted for livestock feed or bedding during transport to Tasmania due to the weed seed entry risk presented.
(Fodder sourced from a leguminous forage crop such as oats or Lucerne may be permitted in certain instances, e.g. for horses with dietary/GIT disease history.)
For further details see section 2.12,
Plant Biosecurity Manual Tasmania:
Plant Biosecurity Manual Tasmania (PDF 4Mb)
Animal carcases (untreated / raw) and untanned hides and skins of restricted species:
- upon arrival in Tasmania the animal matter must be free from contamination with soil, weed seeds, extraneous plant material, and insect infestation; and
- on the outside of the packaging must be a clear description of the contents (common and scientific names); and
- contact details of both supplier and importer; and
- purpose of importation; and
- be accompanied by a copy of any Government approvals issued for the removal of the animal/s from their place of origin and/or for their importation into Tasmania (as relevant).
Upon request, consignments must be presented to a Biosecurity Tasmania Inspector for inspection at an approved place.
Check with your freight / courier company for requirements that may apply to the type of packaging required to transport untreated / raw (e.g. frozen) animal carcases.
Note: DEAD animals, birds, game species (including foxes) that have been
taxidermied are allowed unrestricted entry into Tasmania from other Australian States and Territories (excluding farmed fish).