Animals or parts of animals preserved in any of the following fixative solutions may be imported without further restriction:
- Methanol, ethanol, or isopropyl alcohol at a concentration of at least 70%;
- Glutaraldehyde at a minimum concentration of 2.5%;
- Formaldehyde at a concentration of at least 5%;
Osmium tetroxide at a minimum concentration of 1% (electron microscopy only);
Steedman's Solution (plankton only);
Note: Use of RNALater as a preservative requires assessment on a case by case basis prior to import. Potential importers must lodge a completed
Application for Special Authority to email
AnimalDisease.Enquiries@nre.tas.gov.au for consideration by the Chief Veterinary Officer. Any approval to import will be under conditions specified within a Special Authority.
Upon arrival in Tasmania each consignment must have on the outside of the packaging:
- a clear description of the contents, and
- contact details of both supplier and importer, and
- purpose of importation, and
- a copy of any documentation relevant to the approval of the importation both into Australia and/or Tasmania as applicable.
- Upon request consignments must be presented to a Biosecurity Tasmania Inspector for inspection at an approved place.
For information on importing specimens into Mainland Tasmania from Macquarie Island, please refer to the webpage Macquarie Island Specimens.
For further information: