Authorities to Collect or Damage Earth Materials

The collection or damaging of earth materials including minerals, rock, sediment, soil, fossils, speleothems from any national park, reserve or crown land outside declared fossicking areas requires an authority / permit. Refer to the Mineral Resources Tasmania website for declared Tasmanian fossicking areas.

The type of permit available, issuing authority and statutory penalty for collecting without a permit vary according to:
  • land tenure and the legislation under which the land is managed
  • why materials are being collected.
An Authority / Permit to collect earth materials from Crown or reser​ved land for scientific or educational purposes is issued by the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment. Use the following form to submit an application:

Upon successful application, permits are normally issued subject to conditions regarding:
  • liaison with land manager regarding access authority, biosecurity, safety and other relevant matters
  • use of hand tools only in the World Heritage Area, national parks, state reserves and nature reserves unless otherwise specified
  • minimisation of impact of collection and amount of material to be collected
  • reporting and publication
  • lodgement and curation of type specimens or significant samples
  • distribution of multiple samples by authority only
  • other conditions may also be applied according to the nature of the proposed work.
If samples are to be collected from reserved land then the consent of the Parks and Wildlife Service regional manager is also required (allow up to three weeks following DPIPWE approval).

Collection from Macquarie Island Nature Reserve requires approval of the Macquarie Island Research Assessment Group (MIRAG).
Aboriginal and Historic heritage must be considered before any ground disturbing works. Failure to demonstrate due diligence or to gain appropriate approvals may result in substantial penalties in the event that Aboriginal or historic heritage is impacted. See Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania or Heritage Tasmania for more information about your obligations.

Sampling of subfossil bones or remains of species listed under the Threatened Species Protection Act 1995 requires a permit from the Threatened Species Section. Contact the Section by email

Most public land types including some reserves are subject to the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995. For information on permit applications for prospecting, mineral exploration or similar purposes, refer to the Mineral Resources website.

On private land to a depth of at least 15m all earth materials belong to the landowner, subject to exceptions under the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995.


Geotechnical sampling using a hand auger
copyright: Jason Bradbury










Geoscientific Collection Permits

Jason Bradbury
Level 5, 134 Macquarie Street,
Hobart, TAS, 7000.
Mobile: 0419 886 572