Cat Management Act 2009
establishes cat management facilities as a key community resource to assist with management of cats. A cat management facility is:
- a council facility with capacity to handle and hold cats; or
- a prescribed facility; or
- a facility operated by a person, or organisation, as prescribed.
Services Offered by Cat Management Facilities
- Surrender of unwanted or stray cats.
- Assistance with the return of microchipped cats to their owners.
- Adoption or re-homing of cats and kittens.
- Desexing, microchipping, and veterinary services for adopted cats.
- Cat management facilities may also receive surrendered cats from people controlling cats on their private land.
Cat management facilities are not-for-profit organisations and operate on public donations and other fundraising activities. Before taking a cat to a cat management facility, you should first call the facility to understand their procedures for accepting a cat, operating hours, and any associated fees.
If a cat taken to a cat management facility is microchipped, the operator of the facility will attempt to notify the owner that their cat is being cared for at the facility and able to be reclaimed.
A cat that is being cared for at a cat management facility must be microchipped and desexed
before being reclaimed from the facility. Exemptions to microchipping will apply where a vet certifies microchipping will affect the health and welfare of the cat; exemptions to desexing will apply to cats owned by registered breeders for the purpose of breeding or where a vet certifies desexing will affect the health and welfare of the cat. Owners of cats may be liable for any costs relating to the care and treatment of their cat.
If after notifying the owner, or if the owner cannot be found, and the cat is not reclaimed within a specified period, the operator of the cat management facility may re-home the cat.
Approved Cat Management Facilities in Tasmania
Spreyton, Launceston and Hobart
Ph. 03 6709 8100
Ten Lives Cat Centre
Ph. 03 6278 2111
Just Cats Tasmania
Mowbray and Longford
Ph. 03 6388 9202
Contact your municipal council for other facilities that may be managed locally.