Lobed Needle Grass
Image: lobed needle grass, © D. McLaren, Australian Plant Image Index.
What is lobed needle grass?
- Lobed needle grass is a serious weed of open woodlands and introduced and native grasslands including grasslands dominated by other
- Lobed needle grass is a
declared weed in Tasmania under the Tasmanian Weed Management Act 1999. The importation, sale and distribution of lobed needle grass are prohibited in Tasmania.
- Lobed needle grass is on the National Alert List for Environmental Weeds, a list of 28 non native plants that threaten biodiversity and cause other environmental damage.
- Closely related to serrated tussock, and Chilean needle grass, both
Weeds of National Significance (WoNS).
Image: lobed needle grass in the field, © D. McLaren, Australian Plant Image Index.
How to identify lobed needle grass
- Lobed needle grass is a perennial tussock that can grow up to 100 cm high.
- Stems and leaves are tightly rolled and very smooth to touch. The bright green leaves feel like nylon cord when sliding fingers down the length of the leaf blade.
- Seeds are around 6-8 cm long with two white lobes that look like wings surrounding the seed. The seed heads lean to one side and appear to shimmer in the afternoon sun.
- It grows mainly in open areas, in direct sunlight or light shade, and on clay soils. It is tolerant to waterlogging and appears to prefer wet depressions.
- Lobed needle grass is an extremely invasive weed due to its competitiveness, un-palatability and very sharp and clinging seeds.
- See the
Nassella species identification comparison table below for more information on identification.
Lobed needle grass in Tasmania
- Lobed needle grass is not naturalised in Tasmania at present.
What is the legal status of lobed needle grass in your area?
What you need to do?
See alsoLobed Needle GrassStatutory Management Plan
- If you locate Lobed needle grass anywhere in Tasmania, or if you find a plant that you think could be Lobed needle grass, immediately contact Biosecurity Tasmania on 03 6165 3777 to report this weed.
Weed Links and Resources
Other useful links
Weeds in Australia
Lobed Needle Grass Weed Management Guide
Nassella species identification comparison table