There are many types of licences available within the Thoroughbred racing industry. Each type of licence requires differing levels of experience and knowledge. To ensure that new applicants are fully aware of the requirements of any category of licence, application forms are not available electronically but will be forwarded to interested persons upon enquiry. This is to ensure the appropriate and up to date information is provided to prospective applicants. If you have any queries about any registration or licensing matter please contact the Office of Racing Integrity.
Application for Licence Requirements
Before applying for a Thoroughbred licence please review the following document.
Thoroughbred - Application for Licence Requirements 2023-24 (PDF 544Kb)
How can I have my application processed as quickly as possible?
Completed applications are processed more quickly than those requiring additional information. Before submitting an application, please make sure:
- all sections of the form have been completed
- All signatures are included
- supporting documentation is attached (where requested)
- payment of the application fee (if applicable) is provided with the application
- when requested by ORI to have a photo taken at Service Tasmania, you attend to this straight away.
Requests for additional information may delay the assessment of the application.
How long will it take to process my application?
ORI receive licence applications every day and are processed in the order that they are received.
Processing timeframes vary depending on the type of application and whether additional information is required. The Operations department at ORI will try to give you an idea of the processing timeframe for your application.
ORI will endeavour to provide a level of service that is of a high standard.
You can help us deliver our service by ensuring that:
- all interactions between staff and customers occur in a courteous manner
- staff are treated politely and respectfully
- all available relevant information is provided
- the interaction occurs in a co-operative and positive manner
Fees and Charges
Thoroughbred - Fees 2023-2024 (PDF 255Kb)
Application forms for all Licences and upgrades are available by emailing Office of Racing Integrity:
Thoroughbred - Transfer of Stable Employee Employment
Thoroughbred - Notification of Termination of Stable Employee Employment
GST/EFT Forms - Trainers, Jockeys, Apprentices
Medical Examination Report Form 2023-24 (PDF 415Kb)
Racing Related Forms
Trainer Representative Authority Declaration
Change of Address
Notification of change of address can be made by emailing the Office of Racing Integrity
Notification of Horse Form
Application to Register an Ordinary Syndicate - Other than a Company Firm or Stud
Thoroughbred - Micro-ownership Syndicate Requirements
Thoroughbred - Micro-ownership Terms and Conditions
Application to Register a Syndicate - Company Firm or Stud
Alteration to Syndicate Membership
Racing Australia has developed a number of new registration forms following the introduction of new traceability rules from 1 May 2021. Forms relevant to named racehorses, unnamed horses, and breeding horses can be found here.
Regularly used forms can be found below:
Registration of Racing Colours
Lease Amendment - Introduced 1 August 2023
- ORI has introduced a simplified way to amend Leases currently in place on TAS horses.
- In an effort to simplify changes for the connections, the new Lease Amendment form notates the outgoing and incoming party by signature with the Managing Lessee responsible for informing the other Lessees, and the Managing Owner responsible for informing the other Owners.
- This is similar to the practice introduced some time ago by Racing Australia for Transfers of Ownership.
The new Lease Amendment form in TAS, carries the following requirements:
- Must be a TAS lease
- Outgoing lessee signs out
- Incoming lessee signs in
- Managing Owner (Lessor) signs, confirming that they have advised all other owners (Lessors)
- Managing Lessee signs and lodges with ORI, confirming that they have advised all other lessees
- All other conditions of the lease and expiry date remain
Lease Extensions - Can only be processed within the original lease agreement term.
Owners (Lessors) should be aware that while a lease agreement on their horse remains current, a transfer of ownership cannot be processed until that lease agreement has been cancelled.
Lease of Racehorse
Lease Amendment (PDF 287Kb)
Visiting Jockey, Trainer and Stablehand Forms and Information
Thoroughbred - Visiting Trainer s Information (PDF 47Kb)
Visiting Trainer Application
Visiting Interstate Jockey Information
Thoroughbred - Visiting Jockey Licence (PDF 244Kb)
Thoroughbred - Visiting Apprentice Information
Visiting On Loan Apprentice Information
Visiting Apprentice Application (PDF 180Kb)
Visiting Interstate Stable Employees and Trackwork Riders Information (PDF 217Kb)
Visiting Interstate Stable Employee Application