Selling Water


Selling water is a private matter between individuals. If you have water to sell or want additional water, there are a number of ways water can be bought/sold;

  • Limited period transfers – transferring a water allocation (or part of) for a short period of time
  • Absolute transfers – transferring a water allocation permanently
  • Watercourse Authority – transferring water from a winter storage downstream by releasing through a watercourse. For further information on this type of transfer, see Watercourse Authorities.

​However approvals for any of these options must be obtained from the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania prior to the transfer taking place.

For further advice on these transfers - 

​Relevant application forms for the above transfers can be found at the link below

Water Management Forms