Review of the water management arrangements in the North Esk River Catchment during 2019
In 2019 Water and Marine Resources Division undertook an assessment of water management arrangements in the North Esk River Catchment to ensure that they support the objectives of the Water Management Act 1999 (the Act) and are consistent with the planning principles in the National Water Initiative.
In undertaking the review the Department undertook an assessment of:
- the surface and groundwater hydrology, including possible impacts of future climate change;
- natural values, including the requirements of threatened species;
- river health;
- current water allocations;
- current and possible future water development and requirements;
- water operations issues in the catchment during the last 15 years.
- the effectiveness of existing protocols.
Water Management Overview
This overview outlines the surface and groundwater management arrangements in the North Esk River Catchment. The information in this document is current as of September 2019.
North Esk River Catchment Water Management Overview (959Kb)
Interviews took place with key stakeholders in the catchment on the effectiveness of existing water management procedures in the catchment. Stakeholders interviewed included representatives from:
- City of Launceston
- Northern Midland Council
- NRM North – Tamar Estuary and Esk Rivers Program
- Farming water users in the upper North Esk River catchment
- Farming water users in the lower North Esk River and St. Patricks River catchments
- Tasmanian Farmers and Grazers Association
- Tasmanian Irrigation
- Anglers Alliance
A key stakeholder meeting was held in October 2019 presenting a summary of feedback from stakeholders, findings from the Department's assessments, key issues that can be managed under the Act, future management options and the Department's preferred options with an explanation of why they were the preferred option at this point in time.
Water Management Statement and Review
The majority of key stakeholders were comfortable with the preferred options that fall within the Department's existing policies and are presented in the North Esk River Catchment Water Management Statement.
North Esk River Catchment Water Management Statement (1Mb)
The information in this document is current as of January 2020.
However, it was agreed by participants at the meeting that it be recorded in the management statement that the management arrangements are to be reviewed and to include how and when a review would take place. It was suggested a 5 year review period would be appropriate, given the significant increase in winter allocations approved in the last 2 years and the possible changes that may occur as the new developments in the catchment start to take water during the next few years.