Stream gauging provides water quantity information for:
- the design of water supplies, dams and other engineering works;
- monitoring the sustainability of water allocation and water management;
- implementing water restrictions;
- flood mitigation and drainage;
- monitoring climate change and drought; and
- assessment of changes in water yields resulting from altered land use.
Water information officer measuring stream flow
Access to Data
Developments in stream gauging equipment allow computer access to data in near real time.
Ratings development is currently being undertaken for all sites. As the ratings are developed the flow data will become available on the
Water Information Tasmania Web Portal
river flow plots
on the DPIPWE web site. Interim ratings have already been completed for some sites with this data now available.
See the Water Information Tasmania Web Portal for a list of current water monitoring sites.
Pipers River below Yarrow Creek
The responsibility for flood warning resides with the Bureau of Meteorology: